Sunday, July 11, 2010


I'm a fan of eating so it's only right that I be a fan of cooking as well. I love trying to create fabulous new dishes and this weekend I nailed one. I was wandering around my local shoprite and ended up in the seafood department, where a lovely lady was giving out samples of Gold Coast Blue Crab Spread. As soon as I tasted it and idea popped into my head. What if I mixed this Blue Crab Spread with Chopped Spinach, topped a piece of Salmon with it and wrapped the whole thing in Phyllo Dough? I did exactly that and the end result was delicious! I'm going to walk you through how I did it, but please forgive me I wasn't expecting to turn this into a post so I'm lacking tons of photos.

Ingredients:
Gold Coast Blue Crab Spread
Salmon Filets cut into 1 inch thick pieces
Chopped Spinach (I used the frozen kind but I let it thaw first)
Phyllo Dough (found it in next to the freezer section in the open deep freezers)
Melted Butter

Steps:

1. Remove the skin from the bottom of the salmon pieces and discard
2. Mix the chopped spinach with the crab spread (I used a 50:50 mix) in a bowl and set to the side within reach
3. Melt about two tablespoons of the butter in the microwave and keep close
4. Layer five piece of dough and use melted butter inbetween each piece of phyllo
5. Spread the spinach and crab mix into the middle of the phyllo (about an inch wide and the same length as the salmon)
6. Place 1 piece of salmon on top of the mixture and wrap the Phyllo around it using butter to seal all edges and place onto a baking sheet folded edge down.
7. Repeat with however many you plan on making.
8. Bake in an oven reheated to 375 degrees for about 20 minutes or until it's brown.



Top with this Sauce (totally optional but made it taste even better)

Ingredients:
White Cooking Wine
Butter
Lemon Juice
Sargento Bistro Blends - Italian Pasta Cheese with Authentic Italian Herbs

What I did: Melted down two tablespoons of butter, added a splash of the white wine, and lemon juice. Allowed it all to get warm over a low heat, continuously mixing. Then added in about 1/2 cup of the cheese. This cheese worked really well because it's shredded and seasoned. Keep mixing over low heat until it's completely liquid and immediately pour over the Phyllo dough Wrapped Salmon + Crab Meat.

Enjoy!

Popular Posts