Thursday, September 9, 2010



Jada Pinkett-Smith and Willow Smith have become quite possibly my favorite mother-daughter duo right now. At first, I must say I was a bit taken back by Willow's extreme hairstyle but it's grown on me and I love that funky little girl, she's so cute! Those who bad mouth her claiming she's a Rihanna clone should be ashamed of themselves, because that's what little girls do. I did it as a little girl and I'm sure you did it too, you pick a celebrity or some other famous figure and you want to dress like them. Remember all the TLC inspired trends of the 90's? Okay then!

This summer Celebrity Hairstylist Marcia Hamilton traveled the world keeping the Smith Family Red Carpet ready for the Karate Kid Press Tour. Together, they traveled to 8 cities with premieres spanning over a few months. Marcia was responsible for creating various looks for both Jada Pinkett-Smith and her daughter Willow. This Mother-Daughter duo made fashion statements and fans buzzing about their looks. This includes Jada's new "Euro Bang" and Willow's controversial "Rock Star" Mohawk.

Watch Willow Whip Her Hair at the various premieres with the help of Marcia!

Westwood Premiere

Willow's leopard attire as well as her rock star persona created the inspiration behind her red carpet look. We decided the best way to compliment her fashion statement was to create a Mohawk in its natural texture that would be fierce and totally on the edge. To give it the delicate sweetheart flair, I pulled the hair off her face and pinned it back into a soft roll. For hold I used J Beverly Hills, Hold Me Spray and Purity Design's Pure Modelling Wax to maintain the spikes in the back.

London Premiere

This look was total "Camden Town Girl," explains Marcia. "After blowing her hair straight, I flat ironed it with a bit of Purity Design's Pure Definition Hair Spray for hold and shine. For the textured look on the ends, I pinched the hair with a wax."

Berlin Premiere

At the Berline premiere Willow Smith kept everything sleek. Marcia explains, "I blow dried their hair with a round brush for more body and volume at the root. Next, I used a flat iron on Willow to add a slight bump to the ends to softly frame her face. Since Jada wore a really fun golden mini dress for this premiere, I kept the hair really sleek from bangs to ends and swept off the shoulders."

Paris Premiere
Willow's look was haute couture! Marica tells us, "I went a bit high fashion and sleeked her Mohawk back into a very Linda Evangelista look."

Tokyo Premiere

Tokyo was probably the most "fun" look, aside from my personal favorite the Leopard Look. "This was my time to have some fun so Willow and I agreed to play with some temporary color. I used my flat iron and a little White Sands Infinity Hair Spray to flip her hair out, showing more layers. For color, I sprayed the ends of the hair with Temporary Highlight Spray Color in Neon Purple, it was just sheer fabulosity!"

Madrid




Marcia tells us, "the above 90 degree temperatures and humidity are no hairstyles' best friend so I created these looks to withstand the heat for this premiere... We opted for a cool off the face look by braiding three mini cornrows in the front of her head and securing them with hot pink pony tail holders, leaving the rest of her hair out and smooth."

Popular Posts