Wednesday, April 17, 2013



I havent written in a little while because I haven't had a lot of spare time plus I don't want to write for the sake of writing. As I said in my opening post, I'll let the blog dictate its own tone.  Makeup is to the face what the wedding dress is to the body and arguably just as important for a wedding. I recently reconnected with a friend Elaine Shobanjo and loved her makeup, she has kindly agreed to be the subject of a makeup spotlight so here goes....



Elaine Shobanjo

What inspired the name ShoMya?
Years ago, I dreamt of having this little daughter who would love girlie things and enjoy seeing her mother work in this chosen field. I love the name 'Mya' and planned to call her that. I decided to name my business after her, even though I wasn't married at the time, just engaged. 'Sho' is what my last name is often shortened to. Come years later, I now have a son who I wouldn't trade for anything! Nonetheless, I love what the name 'ShoMya' represents to me.


When did you start?
I started in London in 2009. I initially worked within Asset Management but needed more. I knew I was passionate about makeup...anyone close to me would have known that. So, with the encouragement of my husband, who was my then boyfriend, I started going to beauty school at the weekends. I did this for several months. By the end of 2008, I got certified by the British Association of Beauty Therapy & Cosmetology (BABTAC).In 2009, I moved on to pursue my career as a makeup artist full time. I am now based in Lagos and have expanded into other aspects of beauty such as HAIR, NAILS, EYEBROW THREADING, FACE THREADING, GELE TYING and more.


Do you have a favourite bridal look?
I love looks that are clean and not overly painted. I don't believe we have to blend all the colours of the rainbow on one eyelid to create a beautiful look. Don't get me wrong, while that can produce a good look, I much prefer the looks we see on celebrities in America such as smokey eyes emphasised by lashes, contoured cheeks, perfectly concealed skin, with nude lips. Simple but absolutely gorgeous! Think Kim Kardashian, etc.


What sets you apart from all other makeup Artists?
It is important to say that we do more than makeup at ShoMya. Nonetheless, our clients often say that our makeup is not over the top and are happy that they recognise themselves after their transformation.
Lately there's been a lot of buzz about the "ShoMya eyebrows" and many say that our style of shaping brows sets us apart. Eyebrow threading was a skill I made sure I acquired before relocating to Nigeria as I knew it wasn't very common here and I wanted to offer a service that not everyone could. Besides threading the brows, the way we define them with makeup is what the clients find intriguing. I am extremely dedicated to what I do and invested a lot of time and resources in building our salon in Lekki Phase 1, ensuring that our standards were note worthy and the environment created was not your typical salon look/vibe. What we have is a place that relaxes you and takes your mind off the hectic lifestyle associated with Lagos. You can get pampered with your choice of treatments and simultaneously enjoy our ocean view.


Any tips for brides before their wedding day?
Don't do facials too close to your wedding day as your skin may react to it. Get enough sleep the night before. Its ok to put YOU 1st...AND Do not slash your budget for hair and makeup as they make up a very important aspect of your day! *wink wink*



Elaine, talk us through some of your looks...


This is one of our recent brides- the very lovely Ada. Her look was elegant, not over the top yet striking! After giving her the ShoMya eyebrows, we created a very soft smokey eye using a beige eyeshadow with gold pearl hints and blended with soft brown and black hues. With liquid foundation and very little concealer, we 'erased' any imperfections on her skin. Her cheeks were contoured to emphasise them and define her face structure. We kept her lips soft using a pale pink shade.




The focal points of this look were her eyes and cheeks. We wanted these bits to speak! Using a combination of plum and black, we created a coloured smokey eye look. Her cheeks were contoured and highlighted, resulting in well defined cheek bones to add more character to her look.











This shows how to work with a strong red lip. In this case, the eyes were pronounced but not enough to distract from the red hot lip!




These looks (above and two below) show that makeup does not have to be packed on to give a good result. These clients didn't want to look 'too different' from their normal selves. In 2 out of the 3 looks, we didn't even use false lashes. We wanted to keep it as real as possible. I believe that once your eyebrows and eyes have been transformed, you're on the right path to achieving a fabulous makeover!





Above showcases our signature ShoMya eyebrows



I love a client that can take as much as I want to give her and that's what I got with the ever so fabulous Chioma. We went all out with this look, making sure that each feature got its own transformation. Amongst other things, we contoured her nose and cheek to add depth and structure to the face, we combined a deep pink lip pencil with bright pink lipstick and lipgloss to help the lips stay coloured for longer.





ShoMya Details
Address: ShoMya Salon/Makeup Studio is located in the heart of Lekki 1. Block 12E, Plot B (1st floor)
Admiralty Way, Lekki Phase 1, Lagos (Plaza with Stanbic IBTC and Collectibles)
Website: www.shomya.com
Email: info@shomya.com
Telephone: 018428637, 08182512087
Instagram: @ShoMya_Lag
Facebook: www.facebook.com/shomya

Popular Posts