Wednesday, October 20, 2010



Name: Clarins Express Compact Foundation Wet/ Dry
Brand: Clarins
Size: 10g
Price: $38.00
From Clarins’ website:
An incredibly fine, silky, creamy powder that ensures quick and easy application while promoting total skin comfort. It evens the complexion, smoothes out skin tone and promotes a matte finish with long-lasting results thanks to specific “matte luminosity” pigments. The complexion remains the same, in any type of lighting.

What I liked:
- silky texture
- good coverage
- makes skin very soft
- matte natural finish
- longlasting
- no breakouts
- the packaging

What I didn’t like:
- not many shades available
- the price

Express Compact foundation wet & dry isn’t available in many shades and most places only carry 3 or 4 of them, usually in middle or dark tones, so not many people, esp those with pale skin, will be able to find a match. That’s why I always overlooked this product at the counter till one day the SA offered me a sample of the foundation. Unfortunately I only realised when I got home that the shade she gave me was way too dark for my pale skin (seriously, what was she thinking?) but I thought I’d try it anyway.

The foundation has a slight nice scent, a silky texture and makes my skin feel soft and velvety, thanks to silicones like Dimethicone and Cyclopentasiloxane. It can be used either with a dry or damp sponge. The coverage is good, esp when applied wet: it evens out the skin and hides redness, but not brown spots or pimples. You need to use a concealer for that. It doesn’t settle in fine lines and the finish is matte but still natural looking.

I have combination skin and my T-zone is oily, so I need a foundation that controls oil. This one contains nylon-12, nylon 6/12 and silica, which are all absorbents. However, the product controls oil well for only about 5 or 6 hours, probably less if you have oily skin.
It didn’t make me breakout and didn’t dry my skin. The staying powder is amazing: it stays put all day and doesn’t transfer on clothes.

The product also contain ascorbyl palmite, which is a form of Vitamin C, and tecopheryl acetate, a form of vitamin E. Both ingredients are effective antioxidants.

The compact is gorgeous: red and sleek. It contains a sponge to apply the product (although I prefer using a brush) and a big mirror. The price is quite steep but refills, which are quite cheaper, are available.

Summary:
Overall, this is a great powder foundation. It provides a natural matte finish, great coverage and makes skin feel very soft and smooth. The price isn’t cheap but refills are available. However it is hard to find and there aren’t many shades available.

Rating: 4/5

Popular Posts