Thursday, October 7, 2010

Niki and Steve contacted me last July to officiate their wedding at Second Empire, a wonderful historic mansion converted to a fine dining restaurant in downtown Raleigh where I do many weddings every year. It is a great place for a small wedding like theirs. Because their wedding was October 2, 2010 it was likely the weather would be very nice so they chose to have their ceremony outdoors in the front yard of the lovely old mansion. 
Niki emailed me about two weeks before the wedding to tell me that the classical guitarist they wanted to play at their wedding was no longer able to play for them. I immediately contacted Julius Carrasco, a phenomenal classical and Flamenco guitarist I do many weddings with, to see if he was available that day. Fortunately he was. Thanks, Julius! 
When we were ready to begin the ceremony, Steve, Alex (our ring bearer) and I walked out the front door and down to the first landing to await the bride. I am pointing to where he is to stand since we did not have a rehearsal. Alex took his job very seriously and after the bride arrived, he was permitted to go sit with his parents for the rest of the ceremony. That is my little table on the left upon which we put the ring pillow and the bride's bouquet. 
Here comes our beautiful bride and her father, John. The pathway is a bit narrow coming around from the atrium. 
Their friend Jessica presented a reading from "I Like You," a poem by Sandol Stoddard Warburg. It was amusing and Jessica did a great job delivering it with a dramatic flair! 
Then I told the couple's love story and how they first met way back in 1992 when they were in high school. They did not date then but they sure noticed each other and finally got together after both had graduated. Steve is looking forward to never again hearing the question "So, when are you getting married?" and doing things not related to planning a wedding!
Steve is going in for the kiss at this moment and Niki is loving it! 
And now they are married, finally, after 18 years!
After hugs from their guests, we got together for this photo then Marty and I packed up the sound gear and headed for The Umstead for the next wedding . Steve and Niki, you were definitely meant for each other. I congratulate you and wish you all the best!
Had to show you this pretty wedding cake! It is made by the talented pastry chef at Second Empire. She does some amazing wedding cakes. Bridget McEnaney was our photographer for this wedding. (All the photos for this blog were taken with my Olympus digital camera by my roadie, Marty.)

Popular Posts